
Candy canes are one of my favorite candy and now just look at this -- they're good for you, too!.
New studies on peppermint, the key flavoring in traditional candy canes, reveal the herb may do everything from kill germs to treat digestive troubles. Some researchers now advise consumers to eat a tablespoon or more of fresh peppermint, and other green herbs, daily.
Peppermint oil, found in most candy canes, also appears to have health benefits. A recent British Medical Journal study, led by McMaster University researcher Alex Ford, concludes that peppermint oil should be the first line of defense against irritable bowel syndrome, a condition characterized by abdominal pain and irregular bowels that affects between 5 to 20 percent of the population.
Peppermint oil, and other potent essential oils, may even one day be wafted in their vapor form over food to prevent the growth of bacteria.
2 comments:
This is very interesting... I nearly always had a big basket of red bird soft peppermint candy every Christmas.. didn't get it this year, but might just go find me a bag and eat up...especially since I had that bad stomach virus recently...LOL
Hope your Christmas was good and hope you have a very good New Year!!
Hi Kim. Never got around to blogging over Christmas, & now here it is New Year's Eve!
I wish you a Wonderful 2009, filled with happiness & Joy.
Hugs XX
I love peppermint tea- it is the only type I like! So soothing.
Post a Comment