Well, I have finally left the Land of Denial, passed through Anger and Bargaining, but Acceptance is just around the bend and Hope seems a long way off in the distance before I finally arrive.
What the heck am I talking about? Have I gone mad? Let's back up a moment and I tell you my story.
A few months ago, I went to the doctor with an itchy knot on my ear. I assumed it was either a cyst, or a reaction to my gold earrings . I'm not much on going to the doctor, so when my doctor saw me sitting in his office without a red "Rudolph" nose and itchy watery eyes, he was confused as to why I was there. I left with a prescription for antibiotics and steroids and had to come back in a month. After a month, my ear wasn't itchy, but the knot was still there. He gave me another series of antibiotics and I went on my merry way. Another month went by and the knot was not getting any smaller, so he sent me to a Plastic Surgeon to have it removed.
I was a little embarrassed about going to a plastic surgeon (visions of Nip/Tuck dancing in my head), but my doctor assured me that it was for minimal scarring since it was so close to my face. I don't know that the surgeon really even looked at my ear, but he said I would need surgery.
The out-patient surgery went fine and I was up and dressed and ready to walk out of the surgi-center in record time. Whenever they remove something from you, they need to biopsy it. All that I cared about was that it didn't hurt. Remember how I said that I wasn't much on going to the doctor? Well, I like hospitals even less.
The day after surgery, the surgeon's office calls me to say that I need to have another surgery to remove my partoid gland and to plan to spend the night in the hospital. Huh? I was still pretty drug induced from the day before.
A week later, I went back to the surgeon to have my stitches removed and to discuss this other surgery. Imagine my shock to find out that the doctor was on vacation and that he telephoned me to tell me that the surgery was being cancelled because I have cancer. CANCER!?! I need to find a cancer doctor. Huh, what? Where? In the yellow pages?? You could have scraped me up off the floor. I experienced the first four steps of grief in those few minutes ...shock, emotional release, panic and hostility. I wanted to bitch-slap someone right through the telephone.
In this past month, I have seen more doctors, had more tests, and more vials of blood drawn than I have ever had in my entire life. Panic attacks seem to be a way of life. I've even perfected the "Deer caught in the headlights" look. Most of these tests were a real challenge of my claustrophobia. I think I languished in the land of denial for so long, because I feel fine and still do. Sure, I'm tired - but I'm up early, I work all day, come home and do the daily chores, and at this point in my life, I can take a nap if I so desire. I've weighed the same for the past 30 years - so no dramatic weight loss. Yes, I break out in a sweat - but, at 52, I called them "Hot Flashes" and all of my friends were having them too. I've asked myself over and over again "How Can This Be?" "Is this a cruel joke?" "Will I wake up from this nightmare?
My diagnosis is Non-Hodgkin's Follicular Lymphoma. My treatment is CHOP-R chemotherapy, which starts on August 1st. I feel like my world has crumbled. I'm someone that took an Advil or a Claritin on rare occasions. Now, I'm going to be pumped full of chemicals and have other chemicals to stave of the side-effects of the first chemicals. I'm terrified. I feel like I'm on a long, dark, lonely road all by myself.
I'm trying take a positive outlook, but it isn't easy - so I'm taking baby steps. I'm happy in the morning that I woke up. I've spent a lot of time sitting and enjoying my garden this summer rather than just working in it. I don't end a conversation with family or friends without telling them that I love them. I'm thankful that I have enough fabric to keep me busy for quite a while to take my mind off of this disease. I've prayed harder than I've ever prayed. And, I'm trying to keep my sense of humor, although my hematologist doesn't think I'm taking this disease seriously. I'm also thankful that I have medical insurance. My little buddy, Bailey, is turning into quite the lap dog.
If you've made it this far through this morbid posting, I do have something quilty to talk about.
I now have 7 of the 11 blocks embroidered on the "A Tisket - A Tasket" quilt and as soon as they are pressed and cut down, I'll sew the sashing strips on them. I'll post a photo of them once I have them pressed.
32 comments:
Hi Kim, sending you love & hugs!!
Keep hugging Bailey, & keep up with your quilting. You are in my thoughts every day. I hope this post helped you, in all sorts of ways. There is a huge community out here, who are all on your side!!
Hi Kim, I'm here via meggie's blog. Good luck with the treatment. I hope it's not too tough on you. Positive vibes heading your way.
Made it though your post..though I wouldn't call it morbid..I'd call it courageous. I think it takes courage to share part of your life on your blog...and courage to make it through all the poking and prodding! I'll be thinking about you and hoping that the treatments go well. Keep quilting and big hugs,
Jane
Kim-- prayers continue for your peace of mind and spirit and strength to deal with the therapy planned. I know how hard it must have been for you to write this post, we're here for you. I wouldn't let anyone (hemotologist) tell you how you should be reacting/behaving... every individual deals with a reality such as this in their own way and in their own time. Bailey is your security touch-stone right now, let him work his magic. Hugs!
What a moron to say you arent taking it seriously enough..was he serious?! Well no matter how you feel you sound very strong and really thats a huge positive step. I am a faithful reader of your blog but not always a faithful commenter but know you are in my prayers. xoxo melzie
Oh.My.Goodness, Kim, what an awful lot you've had to assimilate and try to come to terms with! My sister had a parotid gland surgery last year, and until then, who even knew we all have 'parotid glands'!!! Sending you warm quilty hugs to draw around you and Bailey. As Melzie said, I'm too am a faithful reader of your blog, but I'm sometimes too lazy about commenting. :)
Oh how scarey for you Kim! Take good care of yourself and bask in the comfort of Bailey, your garden and your stitching, while you heal. Sending you big hugs.
Keep us posted.
Hi Kim ... here via Meggie ...
I don't think you are at all morbid ... sometimes its very therapeutic to just put thoughts into words....
I hope you can stay strong and keep taking one day at a time ..
And YES, Bailey is VERY cute!
sending prayers and warm thoughts your way. Glad you have your little buddy there to comfort you.
You are in my thoughts and prayers!
I too have cancer and I am on the train with you.
It is such a terrible thing to hear and it sounds like it was kind of dumped on you by the doctor with little regard to how you needed to hear the news. It will be hard work to get better but keeping a positive attitude will be the most important.
You are in my thoughts and prayers!! Anytime you need an ear we (your blog friends) will be here for you to support you - hopefully it will not be a long lonely road for you. God Bless
Hugs and prayers and tons of good thoughts coming your way. As Pam said, us bloggers are here for you.
Coming from Meggie's blog to give you some warm vibes. I rode that train 18 years ago. Cancer is such a hard word to hear. Keep on praying and trusting. We'll be praying with you! ~ann
Good job on bouncing through!
It is tough to hear that C word. We are conditioned to be completely afraid of it. You just keep your spirits up and laugh whenever you can. Don't let anyone try to stop your sense of humor- kick them in the shins!
For a good laugh, I particularly like the movies Rat Race and Life of Brian.
Know that good thoughts and prayers are coming your way.
I've never left a comment before but just wanted to add my good wishes and prayers for your recovery. (I'm a quilter and a Yorkie fan).
you are nerver alone. I will pray for you and yes medical stuff is hard to accept. I am glad you posted about it instead of holding it in. hugs
In our house we have just passed the five year anniversary of my husband's diagnosis of NHL. His doctors were wonderful - they always said it was treatable and never let him think otherwise. It has not always been an easy road so I wish you all the best and wanted you to know that we are thinking of you. There is a yahoogroup for NHL - I haven't been there recently so I don't know how active they are. Keep those positive thoughts coming and we will add to those for you.If we can help let us know. Hugs.
Hi Kim--I just want to add my good wishes and prayers! Take care!
Dear Kim, I have visited your blog several times but this time I was really touched by your post.
I know you start your Chemo on the 1st of August. That's my birthday, I've always been blessed, lucky, whatever you want to call it....I point is, that's a good day to start the rest of your life. From this point on, girlfriend......Live, Laugh, Love.
Take care,
Love you....Rhonda
I am glad you found out sooner rather than later. We are here for you. Hang in there!
I am so sorry that you are going through this. Please know that prayers are going up on your behalf. I can tell by your blog that you are a strong courageous woman. Blessings to you!!!! This is my first comment on your blog (but not the first time reading) and I will be checking up on you. Take care!!!!
Kim, you're not alone. I'll be here for you, even if it's only online, and I'm sending good thoughts your way.
I feel for you, going through the tests. I'm claustrophobic too, and had to have similar tests not too long ago. Always ask what the options are when it come to such things. For example, I've learned that I have to ask for an open MRI.
One of my very best friends had Hodgkins Lymphoma 6 years ago and she's doing great now. Hers was discovered because of a spot near her lung. She also lived alone and had to work through her treatments. You sound very much alike. She's not a person who takes much in the way of meds, ect. and her doctor's didn't think she was taking her illness seriously either! She even went to Europe at one point! She went a little slower, but she went! She'd planned a trip to Italy and no way was she going to put it off!
It's going to be a little rough for awhile sweetie, and I know you feel scared, but you're going to get through this and be ok.
Everyone reacts differently to the treatments. I know that for sure, because I've been through it already with a few loved ones. My stepmom is having her last of 10 chemo visits this week. She went through the panic attacks and the bitch slap phase of things too! You'll feel tired, but there are meds that can help with the other symptoms, and it's hard to say how you will experience those. Gosh, I wish I was there to help!
Please, keep in touch when you feel up to it. I'll be thinking about you.
Just popping in to leave a HUG! Consider yourself ((HUGGED)).
My prayers go out to you. I hope the chemo isn't bad and it whips that devil right away. I will be thinking of you and sending hugs and prayers your way.
OMG please take care........why not start a special project to work thru on this time..........
Oh Kim! I wish I could be there to give you a big hug in person, but consider yourself hugged!! This is going to be a rough road, but I'm praying for you girl, and PRAYER WORKS!! :) You'll get through this! I hope it helps you get through the hard times knowing that you have lots of friends out here who are sending lots of "get-back-to-normal-health" vibes!! What a little sweetie, Bailey. It's great to have a little guy who loves you and will be there for you unconditionally. :)
Kim, I will keep you in my prayers and hope you have a quick and complete recovery. Remember that we are all here for you in blogland if you need to vent. Take care.
Kim, I will be thinking of you, wishing you a very speedy recovery. As someone like yourself who hates doctors, I cannot even imagine your shock at the diagnosis. I will be praying for you.
Kim, I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I will keep you in my thoughts & prayers. I am so glad Bailey is with you.
Vinda
Wow Kim, I haven't been around the Stashbuster ring in a while so was just catching up. I'm so sorry to hear about your cancer - what a shock. Glad you made it through the first treatment and I hope all goes well.
I'm playing catchup with blog friends. I had no clue. I'll send you some positive vibes. I'm not impressed with your first surgeon. A few chosen adjectives come to mind. Keep up with the humour! It really works! Loretta Laroche made me laugh till I cried! Let me know how I can help!
Post a Comment