Background

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

It's Been Too Long

Just in case anyone is interested or still reading my blog, I am alive and well. I just didn't have anything going on in my life that was Blog-worthy.

I so happy that Spring is finally here - a time of new beginnings. My Knock-Out rose is just beautiful this year - it was a Mother's Day gift from my Mother 3 years ago - so it's truly the gift that keeps on giving. A robin has built a nest on my front porch and it has 4 baby robins in it. I have enjoyed watching them, but they are the shittingest birds I have even seen. It's a good thing that they are cute because I have to wash down my porch every evening. The addition of these birds does not thrill my "indoor residents" and they spend all of their time looking out the front door barking - which really annoys the Alpha Dog - ME! Here's Toby in the "Sentinel" position next to the front door.


I am finally starting to get my Quilting Mojo back. I'm attending the monthly Demo's at The Quilters Hive, I attended the Lancaster Quilt Show with my two quilting buddies and I've joined a 30's Club. Once a month I go "clubbing" at the quilt shop, which is a great social event - we have a monthly project in 30's fabric and then are treated to dessert and a discount on any purchases. If this just sounds like a lot of retail therapy - you're correct!

I've been visiting a lot of blogs looking for inspiration and lo and behold, I stumbled across http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/ blog and she is sponsoring a Quilt-A-Thon. Just one block a day - hey, I can do that. And, the block is the 9-Patch -- my personal favorite. Of course, it wouldn't be me, if I didn't get a late start -- every group needs a slacker - so I fit right in. So, here I was 16 days late, but I just love a deadline. I made an Excel spreadsheet so that I can keep track of what I've done and where I need to be.



On Friday night, I started stripping - hey, now don't go there - stripping fabrics with the rotary cutter!! I've been trying to clean out my sewing room - OK, I'll admit it -- I have too much fabric and in that too much fabric is stuff I never want to see again -- well, maybe if I just take a strip, then I can be done with it. In the clean out, I also came across tons of FQ's that I have know idea of why I bought them, but they are fun and bright and just the ticket to pull me out of my Quilting Funk. Thanks, Amanda Jean.

Once I had a pile of strips, it was grab & sew and it didn't take long for me to catch up. It felt so good to hear my Bernina humming along. I didn't even mind the hopping up and tripping over a dog to press because everything was just falling into place.




I'm happy to report that it's now Day 22 and I have 25 blocks made.

4 comments:

ancient one said...

It has been way too long... but its so nice to see you back at the sewing machine making your quilts... I know its going to be beautiful... I know about bird poop... so no feeders near my porch since we added the rail...LOL

Jenny said...

Been waiting for you to come back! Back at the machine, too - keep on stitching, Kim. I like the sound of the 30's club - lots of fun I bet.

meggie said...

Hi Kim!!XXX You have no idea how good it is to see you in action again. Hugs, & much Love from me! megxxxx

Thimbleanna said...

Yikes -- it's day 22? I'm behind -- I guess now I'm the group slacker. Your blocks look great -- glad you're back!