Background

Friday, February 02, 2007

Hide and Seek

I hated the game of Hide and Seek when I was a kid. Who wants to sit in some usually dark, out of the way place waiting for someone to find them?
I've been pondering today why a UFO becomes a UFO. My opinion of a UFO is something that you've completely lost interest in working on and may never finish it unless by sheer magic, you open the box it was stored in and instantly fall in love with it all over again. I don't consider most of what I have UFO's as much as I consider them WIP's.

Most of my quilting spills over into all parts of the house, so, when Company is coming over, the quickest way to tidy up is to start throwing stuff into baskets and storing them out of sight (see my opening paragraph about Hide and Seek). Of course, I'm usually working on more than one project at a time (what an understatement), so bits and pieces seem to get misplaced quite often.

Today I uncovered this project that I started before the holidays. This was my first attempt at machine quilting, but I thought the border needed to be hand quilted. And, all that was left to do was about 10 minutes worth of hand quilting and the binding. While waiting for my tea water to boil, I finished the hand quilting on one side of the border, but now I can't find the fabric that I planned to use for the binding -- or did I even have a plan?

After searching and searching, I was able to locate the blue fabric that I used in the border, but the pattern calls for the gold fabric as a binding. I wasted a lot more time searching for the gold fabric. Now, my dilemma is - do I use the blue or the gold? Why didn't I just use the blue and be done with it? My goal is to have the binding on this baby, so that I can do the hand-stitching while watching the Super Bowl on Sunday evening. I'm also hoping that this finish with inspire more finishes in 2007. You'll have to stop back and see what I decided to use.


I also laundered and ironed the Heather Bailey fabric for Amy Butler's Swing Purse. Wow, talk about getting two designer's names in one sentence....Isn't this fabric so spring-like? This is going to be put away together and at least I have my Blog photo to remember what I was going to do with it.

I now have 15 of the 18 stars blanket stitched for the Cookie Cutter Quilt. Since I've decided to do the February Fabric Diet (Thanks Kim W. for the code), I feel like I'm on a roll with using up some of this stuff that I have. Now, if I can just keep up the momentum.


Bailey is lying patiently in wait for the mailman to arrive....and I've been all over the map with this post. So, now I'm off to work on that binding.

11 comments:

His Office, My Studio said...

You have hit on a new tern for quilters. Hide and Seek WIPs. Your quilt is great and it will so nice to finish it.

In my old house the third floor was my sewing room and all I had to do was close the door. In the new house I have to sew, quilt, and craft in the dinning room. Everything has to have a place and if someone comes over I have a basket for odd and ends. I love playing Hide and Seek with my WIPs.

Bailey is very cute!

Lynn E said...

Totally get the in baskets and totes bins thing. My stuff has taken over my home to my husbands consternation. I am on the stashbusters ring.

meggie said...

My husband gets frustrated when he thinks about my stash! But when he sees me sewing again, he gets hopeful!

Yes, I prefer to think of my UFO's as WIP's or WISP's. -work in slow progress!
I seem to have got so relaxed I dont bother if friends come over & my 'stuff' is lying about- it proves I am still living! haha.
Just adore Bailey.

Joyce said...

I have a studio dedicated to sewing that is away from the house so persnikity guests don't even see it. People that sew get invited out there to join in the fun. The grandaughters make a beeline for the sewing studio when they come over. The new fabrics are delcious.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Thanks for your comment about getting better, not older... I needed to hear that! Your Bailey is precious, I'm in love with my dog, too! Love the wallhanging, regardless of the color binding it will be wonderful because it is DONE! :)

Suzanne Earley said...

I play hide and seek with my WIPs and their pieces all of the time. I have great intentions of putting things away together, but then I get in a hurry....usually because I've got some idea that I want to work on and everything else gets abandoned....

Susan said...

You didn't use the blue because the gold will look better, and you don't just want to finish, you want to finish it at it's best. =)

It's a great little wallhanging!

Lena said...

Your wallhanging is turning out great. Either binding will look nice, but I'm leaning towards the gold. :>)
Bailey is looking so shiny and happy in this post...he always makes me smile!
I'm always working on lots of projects all at once. Partly because one idea inspires another and also because I sometimes become bored with a project that takes a lot of time. I do the basket thing! That's the main reason I'm so disorganized! The other is lack of space.
Thursday is my TV night too. I love Grey's Anatomy and Men In Trees.

swooze said...

My goal is to finish all my UFOs this year. As I work on them I ask myself why they became a UFO as well. I will have to ponder that for my current quilt!

Judy said...

My quilting also spills into other areas of the house. Currently, it is on the kitchen table because the sewing room is cold and I feel the need to wear gloves in there! :>) My UFOs are also WIPs....I work on things off and on, and it seems several end up finished at the same time.

SuBee said...

Hey - your first time machine quilting? It looks great! I've been at it a long time, and can't quilt a straight line to save my soul. WTG!
BTW - everyone seems to end up in my sewing room anyway, no mater how chaotic. I think most folks like (admire?) creative messes.