Background

Sunday, February 11, 2007

A Little Snoopy Dancing


I can't believe a whole week has gone by and I haven't posted anything. I haven't spent a whole lot of time in my sewing room because it's just been too cold. We have been in a deep freeze for about 10 days and my sewing room seems to take the brunt of the cold weather, especially in the evenings. Instead, I have been doing some handwork and a little Snoopy dancing because "Glory Be" is done. Thank you for all of your wonderful comments and encouragement. I took your advice and used the gold for the binding and I am so pleased with how it turned out. I snapped this photo while it was lying on the back of the chair -- so the borders aren't really wonky, it's just the curve on the back of the chair - honest.






On this past WIP Wednesday, I did sew together the rows of the Star Cookie Cutter quilt top and even put on the muslin border -- now I'm searching my stash for something to use for the border. I know what I want, but I don't seem to have a long enough piece in my stash of what I want to use. I could cave in and break my fabric diet and buy something or, I'm also debating about doing a piano key border to use up some more of these homespuns. I'm kinda anxious to get this one quilted. Bailey just got his hair cut this morning, so he had to strike a pose on the quilt top. Doesn't he look cute?





I've also been doing some embroidery - my second love after quilting. I started stitching this teapot during the Super Bowl and it's the first time that I have stitched something with a piece of batting behind it. I really like the way it turned out -- now I just need to turn it into a wall hanging and I have some cute teapot fabric in my stash to complete it.



This morning I went to a Dakota Collectibles Trunk Show with a friend. We both own embroidery machines that have been collecting dust for some time and thought the trunk show might give us some inspiration to pull them out again. Oh, there were so many nice designs but that's a pretty expensive hobby even after owning the machine. I saw some really cute designs and I almost bought the CD with flamingos (yes, I just love flamingos), but I would need a card reader box ($400) just to be able to transfer the CD to my computer and download to a memory card -- whew -- I passed it up. So, instead, I just enjoyed all of the knowledge that I gained at the trunk show and only purchased a quilt book instead. This book has so many cute, folky, scrap flower quilts, that I came home and sat looking at it trying to decide which one I want to start first.

16 comments:

Sweet P said...

Glory Be is spectacular. The gold binding really did the trick.

I like your idea of a piano key border on the Star Cookie quilt. The keys would be a great touch to the design.

And your teapot, how adorable! I started a red work BOM last night and I like the way it is turning out. I'll be watching to see how your wall hanging turns out.

Anonymous said...

Here's another vote for a piano key border on the star quilt. I love scrappy borders on scrap quilts. Glory Be turned out great - love the gold binding,

meggie said...

Agree with the others here, love the gold binding.
Love Bailey's haircut- he is just gorgeous- & the quilt he is sitting on is pretty nice too!
That book looks very nice, I love bright quilts.

Carole said...

Oh your work is lovely. The key board border would look nice. And what a cutie you have! Thank you for stopping by. I'm starting to really enjoy blogging. So much talent out there. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the cookie cutter quilt.

Pam said...

Bailey does so look cute with the new haircut.

I like the cookie cutter quilt - is that because the star shape was traced from a cookie cutter? I have been looking for a star shape for a quilt and that seems like a good idea, now I just have to find a star shaped cookie cutter - LOL

Nancy said...

Love the way Glory Be turned out. The gold was perfect for the binding.

On the Star Cookie Cutter I like the idea of a piano key border using the homespuns. I think it would finish it off nicely.

swooze said...

Great progress. Looks like yesterday was the day to finish! The gold is perfect! On your stars quilt, I love the idea of a pieced border. Can't wait to see it!

Meredith said...

I like glory be with the gold binding. Do you plan on a solid meaning not pieced border for Star cookie cutter quilt? Do you have enough of the plaid/homespuns to make a pieced border? If you are on no buy (like me ) border is a legal b.:)

Melzie said...

Oh I love them both, great job! xoxo melzie

Saska said...

Love the stars. If you don't have enough homespuns for a border, let me know...I may have some that I'd definitely send you. I just finished up three homspun projects and would love to find a home for some scraps--that might would work for you. Let me know. If I send them then I'm eliminating and you wouldn't have to buy! Double Good Job!

I bought the "Flowering Quilts" book when I went to Houston. She was a really quiet gal but very inspiring to see her work.

Your Bailey is darling. I had my "quilt-poser" for almost 17 years and she is sure missed.

Kim West said...

I also think the piano key border would be great - but how about cornerstones with the stars too? The binding is great on Glory Be...

Sue said...

Love the star cookie quilt. Would absotutely love to adopt the dog..tooooooooo cute

Darlene said...

Popping in to wish you a Happy Valentine's Day!

Katrina said...

I love that quilt! It looks so cozy.

The Chicken Lady said...

Love the quilts. I bought that book right before I left the west coast at Center Diamond Quilt shop in Cannon Beach, OR. Thanks for the memories. :)

Debra Dixon said...

great looking quilt!