
"The only thing constant in life is change."
—Francois de la Rouchefoucauld, French classical author
I feel like in the past few weeks that I have had to make numerous changes in my life - some good and some I would not have made had I not been backed into a corner. I've had to cut out caffeine and I actually eat breakfast now. I can't have any salad (and all of that produce just begging to be eaten). Thankfully, we've been getting quite a bit of rain, so my garden still looks pretty good since I've been neglecting it. Everything I try to do takes so much longer than it used to. I've had to change how I brush my teeth and how often , however, my dentist should be happy about that. The baking soda rinse is doing wonders for my mouth, I might add. I can't have any spicy or salty foods (bummer), but I'll save that up for when all of this is all over. Thanks, Ann (Ancient One) for the tip on slathering Miracle Whip on everything -- not the Miracle I was looking for, tho! I almost feel like I have been dropped into someone else's life, but everything looks so familiar.
Sleep still eludes me - I can only sleep for two hours at a time. I'm 11 days into this "commitment" and I thought I would "crash and burn" by now. Poor, Mr. Bailey, he has given up on me and just stays in bed while I do my middle of the night rendezvous'. I came home from work the other night and Mr. Bailey was not sitting in the window waiting for me. I couldn't find him. I searched the downstairs, even looked in the backyard (I've been a tad forgetful but I couldn't imagine forgetting him), back through the house, called upstairs. No Bailey. Finally, I walked into my bedroom and there he was still sound asleep on my bed. I scared him - he jumped straight up in the air; then started jumping around like he was so glad to see me. Some watchdog he is!!!!
I did manage to stay all day at work this week and this was a nice diversion. I can't seem to multi-task like I used to - I have to concentrate on one thing at a time, otherwise, I'll forget. I used to be a finger-popping, can't wait an extra second kind of gal. I think "they" killed off some of my brain cells, along with the cancer cells; or else I have a small pinhole size leak in my head. I seem to have a thought on each side of my brain, but when it tries to come together...pssssst, it leaks through the hole. Then, every once in a while, I have an brainstorm - and damn, I'm astounded.


I am still being showered with gifts - and I kind of like it, she says guiltily. I'm amassing quite a collection of angels, but these Angels with Attitude are my personal favorites. I also received a T-shirt from another friend that knows me soooo well that says "Doesn't Play Well With Others" and she wants me to wear it to my next chemo appointment - so everyone will be duly warned. LOL!
Being an adult, you learn to buffer your thoughts. You are thinking one thing and saying what the person wants to hear is usually what comes out of your mouth. I think I lost that buffer (hopefully, this is only temporary), because whatever I'm thinking comes right out my mouth before I can stop it. WOW, you should see some of the reactions that I get. (he-he) Ooops, must be the chemo!!
I'm going to try to have some sewing kits ready for when I can't sleep. Spending time in my sewing room has been non-existent. I think maybe I don't want any part of sewing/quilting related to chemo. That's mine and cancer is not going to take that, too.
15 comments:
You likened your cancer as being on a train. I always said "roller coaster"... Good days (up)... Bad days (down). Thank the Lord more good than bad. And finally I was able to get off. I pray the same for you! (hugs)
Wow, I wonder how long your insomnia will last? I've gone as many as 7 days at a time with only a couple of hours sleep total, so I can relate a little to that part of things. I hope things will improve some, and you will be able to rest easier soon.
From the sound of things, dear Mr. Bailey is probably too pooped to be a watch dog!
We've been having cooler temps, and gray mornings, but not much rain lately. We could use some.
I've been neglecting my garden for a while now. I can't seem to catch up on everything, but I'm trying. You keep trying to hang in there. 11 days is awhile. I'm proud of you for sticking with the things you're supposed to do and for keeping your sense of humor. Salty, though it may be! LOL!
Take care Kim. I'll check in on you again soon.
You hang in there Kim. So many women are going through this, and so many are coming out the other side. Nice to hear that your son was there with you. Good to have family and friends behind you!
The chemo hasn't affected your sense of humour! Sounds to me like you are doing great.
Sending you and Bailey some good vibes, hang in there!
Wow, I'm amazed that you're working! That's a lot going on in your life. It's no wonder your brain is not all there all the time. Be gentle on yourself! I do like that t-shirt! Keep up the high spirits! Sending positive vibes!
Hi Kim, keep holding on to your sense of humour! It will stand you in good stead. Just keep saying what you think- you probably could do with the tesion release! Hugs to you. (((0)))
It's bee nawhile since I popped in. So sorry to hear of all the health stuff going on with you! My mum has just finished her chemo treatment, and awaits radiation. It's a tough time, but know that I am thinking of you!
(((big hugs)))
Just keep on keeping on! We are here for you.
Girl, I don't think the chemo killed the brain cells. I think those little buggers slip out of our heads as we get older. My honey calls me Dori (from Finding Nemo) because I can almost instantly forget something. But at least I can't remember to be sad about it. :) tee hee
I hope your sleep comes back to you so you can feel more like yourself.
BIG GIANT HUGS COMING AT YA!! :)
Awww, Kim - this news sucks! My mom and my best friend are both in that boat, and Mom swears that the chemo kills off the old tired out brain cells and grows new fresh ones, thus you are re-born. Excellent visionry, I think. Stay tough and funny and don't forget you have soo many supporters!
Hang in there, love those angels with attitude. You're tougher than this cancer, know that-- believe that. I understand exactly what you mean about your sewing space... that's yours. Hugs for you and Bailey!
Kim, I'm praying for you as you live through this difficult time in your life. It helps to see the humor in every situation and you are doing that. Sending hugs and good wishes your way.
A prayer and a hug are being sent your way!
Girl, you are one strong woman! Back at work? With all that is going on (well, okay then, IN LOL) your body? I read your posts and I'm in awe of you! I am here cheering you on, yelling 'give them hell, Kim!'. You and Bailey just keep on keeping on, with some butt-kicking thrown in there for good measure, and know that you have a huge fan club out here in cyberspace sending quilted hugs and prayers to you both!
Dear Kim, I just learned from Dear Mrs. Staggs, that you need a new pair of dancing shoes. And I came over to send my good wishes your way too.
My daughter has recently finished chemo and is now in radiation, for breast cancer. So I'm a wee bit aware of this stuff. She like you, has great attitude and I'm sure it's a total plus.
Hugs to you,
Mari-Nanci
Post a Comment