Today, August 1st, was the day I was dreading. Belonging to the Chemo Club was not a club that I wanted to join. But, now that it is a memory, it doesn't seem so quite so bad.
The hardest part of all of this was trying to navigate the pole on my trip to the restroom. The wheels did not want to move in sync, so I had to pull, push, drag it. I told my son that I always wanted to try pole dancing, but he closed his eyes and told me "Too Much Information, Mom".
One "Cootie Killing" treatment down [Thanks, ChickenLady (Cindy), this phrase makes me laugh] and 5 more to go. I only had a slight reaction to the meds, so they stopped for about 20 minutes and then resumed. I was done in 4.5 hours - rather than the 6-8 hours that they planned. Do you think I was an over-achiever? I guess I must have had a little more chutzpah than I thought. My son stayed with me and words cannot express how grateful that I am. I knew I had to stay strong because he doesn't think his Mom has a weak bone in her body (what did I ingrain in his head?) I don't think my right leg knew that, because I could have tapped out any song that you wanted to hear.
Mrs. Staggs had asked me what she thought Dr. FAH's nickname for me was. I've decided that it was "Evil Spawn". This also makes me laugh uncontrollably. Hey, the Evil Spawn couldn't possible be a coward, right?
When it was time to leave, boy, did I walk out of there feeling like a "Space Cadet". Between the prednisone High and the anti-nausea/benadryl LOW, I felt like I was stuck somewhere in the middle, just watching the world revolve from somewhere in outer space.
I had printed out all of my good thoughts, wishes, prayers and hugs and it was like you were all there with me - my chemo buddies.
Since I'm off for the next few days, I plan to spend some quality quilting time in my sewing room.
And, in case you were wondering, Dr. Bailey has not left my side. At least he has a good bedside manner and lots of dog-breath kisses.
12 comments:
Sending you lots of quilty hugs! I hope the chemo goes well...well as well as chemo goes. Keeping you in my thoughts!
Glad to hear that it went well and that your son went with you.
Wonderful nurse Bailey! Hugs to you both. Lynda
ONE Down... and you did well! And you think you will quilt. Great... I'd always sleep for two days after... then be good until the next one. Take all the loving you can get, doggie breath and all. (hugs)
Dr. Bailey dispenses just the best medicine! I love doggie kisses! Hugs for you and prayers for strength for these days ahead.
Hoping you are still doing OK on day two! Hugs and kiss also from me.
Hugs from us, Leo & Honey included! Triple doggy breath!!
So glad your son went with you. You need someone you love to be there for you!
(((0)))xx
Congrats on maing it through one treatment. Nurse Bailey will help you through the rest. So will your son. We're here for you too.
We're right here with you chickee! One down and out of the way!!! YIPPEE!! Awww, little Mr. Bailey. What a good boy. It's nice that you have such a good, soft, sweet little dude to help take care of you. :)
I am glad that first is over. Now you know. Hope the remaining treatments are even easier to take.
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and hope the remaining treatments go as well as your first one. It's good to have a support system and it sounds like you do.
Right! No way sweetie, would anyone ever consider you to be a coward!
You've raised a pretty cool son. I'm glad he's there for you.
(((hugglies))) Kim. you're in my thoughts
Post a Comment