Background

Friday, October 05, 2007

Four Down - Two to Go

WOW - As I was just checking my BLOG, I see that the last time I posted was right after Cycle 3. I received this beautiful bouquet of flowers from my friend, Connie and her husband, at my half-way point. Connie has gotten me over some rough hurdles through this whole ordeal, especially when I was being a brat (I know you find that hard to believe.)

Now Cycle 4 is a memory and I only have 2 more times to belly-up to the Chemo bar where all of the cocktails are infused. Once again, I was the first one there and the last to leave. I felt like the greeter at Wal-Mart. I lost count of how many people I said hello and good-bye to.

My doctor actually displayed a sense of humor this time when he delivered the Good News/Bad News - The good news was my blood counts had all jumped back up -- the bad news was that I had to stay for treatment (like he was really going to cut me loose!!) I know this isn't really ha-ha kind of funny, but it was an attempt at humor. I smiled to be nice.

I do have to go for a CAT scan and then the dreaded PET scan on October 17 and I was able to convince the doctor that there was no reason why my head had to go under the machine. I was real persuasive. Once he agreed, I asked if he would write that on the order, and then I would follow through every step of the way (he rolled his eyes as he said he had no doubt that I would follow through). The hospital called today to confirm my appointment and the scheduler wasn't sure if they could do that - so she went to check with the technicians. She came back to the phone laughing and said that the technicians remembered me from last time and YES, they WOULD do it. She also said that she wrote CLAUSTROPHOBIC across the top of the order, highlighted it in yellow and then drew stars around it - so there would be no mistake. I think I like this person. I may have to take her a box of candy.



This was a gift from my friend, Jenny, at The Stitchery. She must want me to get my quilting mojo back as bad as I do. I can't wait to make something with these cute patches and ultra-cute buttons. Any suggestions?


The weather here has been gorgeous. Summer-like during the days and a nice autumn nip in the air in the evenings. I'm still working on my tan. Thanks to chemo, sun-sensitive drugs, and my bottle of Hawaiian Tropic dark tanning lotion, I have the best tan that I've ever had. Hopefully, next summer, I'll only need the Hawaiian Tropic.



WHAT'S ON YOUR SEWING TABLE?


If you are one of my quilt buddies and have made it this far down in the posting, I do have something on my cutting table. The "Some Angels" wall hanging that I traced 3 weeks ago now has the first border sewn on. I have finally turned on my sewing machine and sewn a few seams. I know this doesn't sound like much but I have another little chemo curve ball, peripheral neuropathy, caused by the Vincristine and all of my fingertips are numb down to the first knuckle. This really sucks. I did treat myself to another manicure, so I can at least type with my nails rather than my fingers. Oh, I just can wait for this to be OVER!


I need to get my sewing machine warmed up to work on my granddaughter's Halloween costume. We went to Joann Fabrics last week and picked the pattern and fabric for her costume. She is going to make such a cute gypsy. Then, we went out for dinner. Her father (Sonny Boy) told us that we had a 10 PM curfew. I told sweet granddaughter that I never made a curfew in my life. She kept looking at her watch through dinner, wondering if we would make the curfew. Just to torture her, I said that if we were cutting it too close, that I would ride around the block a few times just so we would be late. She was horrified. Like, Sonny Boy could punish me (he-he). She was determined to make curfew. Her father laughed the next day when I told him the story. You gotta love a kid that respects her father that much!



Just in case you were wondering, Mr. Bailey is doing just fine. He's a little on the tired side here - too tired to even play with his tennis ball. He was probably waiting for me to fetch it.







Here he is waiting for dinner. He likes to watch the carousel in the microwave as it goes around.

14 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

Glad to hear from you, Kim, and to know that things are better.

Lena said...

I'm so glad to see a post here! I've been thinking of you Kim.
My stepmom has the neuropathy in her fingers too. It's really been frustrating her. We've some good news too! Her last radiation treatment has come and gone! Now we will look forward to her truly start to feel better in the next few weeks. I am looking forward to that....for the both of you.
You have some wonderful projects to think about. You do such lovely work. I always enjoy seeing the things you are working on.
Take care, and hang in there!

meggie said...

Saw your comment on my blog, & hurried over. Glad to see you are back. gorgeous pics of Bailey, & your sweet granddaughter.
Good luck with the tests.
Still sending you positive vibes, & Cyber hugs!

Quilter Kathy said...

So wonderful to read your update Kim and find out that you are doing okay. I just love your sense of humour :) I was laughing out loud at the "belly-up to the chemo bar" line!!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

You're one tough lady; hang in there and keep letting everyone know who's the boss! Hey, if you don't who will? Your granddaughter will make the cutest gypsy around, no contest! You have many good friends and well-wishes surrounding you, Kim! Hannes says "hi" to Bailey!

swooze said...

Kim,

I would like to send you a little something. Can you email me your address and favorite color please? Hugs!

swooze

Sweet P said...

I'm glad to hear you're getting better. Your son is raising a great daughter, but it sounds like grandma is a big tease.

Jeanne said...

Hi Kim, I'm so glad you're down to two more sessions! You're an inspiration! Keep smiling. I continue to keep you in my prayers. Mr. Bailey
looks a little relaxed in the first photo. :-) He's a cutie!

Marge Gordon said...

Keep on keeping on Kim, and before you know it you will have won this battle!
HUGS
Marge

ancient one said...

Hey Kim,

Good to hear that things are going good with the treatments. I love your sense of humor. Like Bailey is waiting for YOU to fetch his tennis ball...LOL

Our prayers continue for you!

Love-n-hugs!

Thimbleanna said...

Love reading your blog. Sounds like you have a wonderful sense of humor with your granddaughter -- lucky girl she is to have you! Here's to speedy chemo and having it soon all be over!

The Chicken Lady said...

Well, at least you're still sewing. Now we all have proof, unless you just staged that cutting mat and you're actually just sitting around watching Oprah and eating bon-bons! :) hee hee Oh, I can't wait to see the costume DONE. I love the colors. She's gonna look so darned cute, well, she already DOES look so darned cute. So does Mr. Bailey. He's just so shiny and silky and those sparkly little eyes!! :) What a little love pup.

The Chicken Lady said...

Oh, and by the way, Congrats on getting through 4 treatments already! What an accomplishment. One that I wish you didn't have to make, but one that I'm glad to see you getting through on your way to beating the Crap out of that stupid cancer! You go girl! :)

Angela said...

Good to read your post. I totally agree with you on the MRI tube. But unfortunately it is my head that they have to see. I have brain tumors. Seems lately I have been really struggling with being all strapped down and immobile. But I have them crank the gospel music up and I pray and sing through it. Take care!