Background

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Hello March - Good-bye February

I'm so glad to see the month of March arrive. Today's weather was pleasant with a promise of many more nice days to come. I actually went out at lunchtime with just a wool blazer and carried my coat. Unfortunately, with nice weather is the downfall of rain and thunderstorms, which is making it's way up the east coast tonight. Is just a few days of warm sunshine too much to ask after making footprints in the snow? I'm glad that February is now a cold, frigid memory.



I've been kind of a TV junkie these past few weeks. I'm addicted to American Idol - which has been on three times a week - maybe because I can't sing. Nope, singing just is not one of my talents. I don't even attempt to participate in singing Happy Birthday - I usually just mouth the words and I don't sing in church even though I do enjoy listening to other people sing. Maybe I'm living vicariously through the TV. I like the TV show Survivor, however, I would never participate in anything so vile. I love Grey's Anatomy, but I hate to enter a hospital, even if it's just to visit. And, now there is this new show on "Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader", which is really cute, but where did they find these people that participate? This tickles me because my DGD is a 5th grader and she is as smart as a whip.

I finally got the borders on the cookie cutter quilt - woo-hoo. I don't remember who suggested that I should put stars in the corner blocks, but I just love the way it looks, so if you're reading this, Thank You! However, this did not put a dent in the many, many bins of homespun. I guess I'm also a homespun junkie.




I also read that coloring on quilts is becoming very popular. I have tried it and I think the results are spectacular, even for a beginner. I found that using the cheap dollar-store crayons work better than Crayola's (sorry crayola). Once the cheapos are heat set, they almost bleed right into the fabric and look and feel more like dye rather than just coloring sitting on top of the fabric. The fabric is also nice and soft whereas, I thought the Crayola's left the fabric stiff. I found this pattern in a Fons and Porter's magazine had and the pattern combined coloring and embroidery, so I thought it would look so cute with some of my 30's repros. Here's a close up of one of the blocks.


I've also been busy cutting down scraps into assorted size squares and strips and that job seems endless. The scrap bin seem like a bottomless pit.

10 comments:

Silverthimble said...

I love your crayon colored blocks! You have done a fabulous job with both the coloring and the stitching!

m.daniela said...

I like the vintage look done to crayon blocks. I've to try!
maria daniela in Rome

Carole said...

WOW, despite your "tv junkie" you've been busy. I like both quilts. The border works well for the cookie cutter quilt. Thanks for the run down on crayons. I have some fabric crayons still in it's package sitting around in a drawer. I wonder on they would fair with the cheapos. I'll be testing the children's washable markers soon. I'm tired of paying the high price of quilting washable markers. Keep well!

meggie said...

Wow! I just love your crayon coloured blocks, & they are perfect with the 30's repro fabrics.
I have been going to try the crayons, but was advised to use Crayola. So thanks for the tip.

As to your comment, about my height.. I think I have shrunk a bit in the height dept, but the width is a whole new chapter!!LOL.

Werna Gail said...

This is my first time on your site, I live in north Fl. and LOVE to play with fabric. I have made one crazy quilt(it's on my blog) and a couple others but I really like your work and had not heard about the crayon thing, gotta try it. I'm also hooked on American Idol. Do the crayons work best on cotton? I'll be back.

Jennie said...

Oh my gosh!! I love that color crayon quilt! I am definitely going to have to put that in my want to do list!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I recognize that cute little basket quilt!! Your work is very cute!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I love the crayon-dye and the stars and bars cookie cutter quilt. I, too, love to watch American Idol; and I detest reality TV. Go figure. Maybe you're on to something with the "non-singer" (myself!) theory of living vicariously. Stay warm.

Judy said...

My goodness, you've been busy even with your TV time. The crayon/30's quilt is adorable!!

Nicole & Phil said...

This works really well, and I am nota big fan of 30's fabric....but with the pictures, it is fabulous!
It is nice to see something a little bit different with these fabrics
Well done!