Background

Sunday, March 04, 2007

March 4th and Get Something Done

Aaah, sweet sunny Sunday and life is good. I love that I have a sewing room after all those years of sewing at the dining room table, and the fact that it's messy is a sure sign that I have been creative. However, today will be a day that I need to march forth and straighten it up a little or at least clean off a surface. Either the mess or the creativity is getting to me.

Yesterday I had a learning experience of trying to create continuous bias from a square of fabric. I read the instructions carefully, followed the diagrams, marked the seams as instructed and still ended up tossing the "said" piece of fabric in the trash can three time. Fortunately, I kept salvaging the piece from the trash heap (why start with a new piece of fabric?), marked the cutting lines wrong three times (are you noticing a pattern with the Number 3?) and I finally have a mile of continuous bias for the stems of "Daisy Vines". Has anyone else thought about a parallelogram since grade school? Now, where are those presser bars?

I also attended a Sulky of America "Sew Exciting Seminar" yesterday and ended up winning the door prize-- A whole bag of sulky goodies, thread, plus a book. Now I have some new toys to play with.


Since I couldn't find the presser bars, I decided to take a ride down to Hancock's and purchase a new set. Here is a photo of my progress on Daisy Vines with the bias stems sewn on -- no it's not worms in the garden..... Dark Blue Daisy's with yellow centers and leaves still need to be applique on.


I tried so hard to resist buying any fabric, but I saw a piece of a teacup print that will go perfectly with the teapot that I stitched, that I couldn't resist. And, then there were those FQ packs tied up with pretty coordinating ribbons sitting right next to the cutting counter - talk about marketing strategy.



Bailey must feel that I'm neglecting him...he brought me his toy that needs a few stitches to keep the stuffing in check. This toy was a Valentine's Day gift and he has loved it to death.






9 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I find that making continuous bias is one of those things that, unless you do it all the time, can be so frustrating and require constant referencing the instructions! Grrr... Bailey looks so happy with his mini-"Bobo" Hannes has been through a few of them here, his all-time favorite toy!

Carole said...

Sounds like a productive day to me! Is the quilte Daisy Vines from the book Tea in the Garden (the one with the muffin recipies). I like that book and am looking forward to making a couple of quilts. Of course when my UFO goal is reached ;o). Keep well!

MARCIE said...

So sorry to hear about your bias trouble. I gave up on that method a long time ago! I recently discovered the bias tape maker and LOVE it! It comes in different sizes and is great for vines. My advice is to use spray starch before the strip goes through the thingy so it holds the press. I will look forward to the next step on your project!

Laurie Ann said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Bailey is such a cutie!

Sweet P said...

Don't you feel good knowing you were able to work your way through a tough technique? I bet you do.

Bailey definitely looks like he needs some attention.

Unknown said...

Congratulations to your Sulky Prize. I bet you can´t wait trying all of it! The cups fabrics look nice beside your bluework. I will impatiently wait to see what becomes of your daisy project.

The Chicken Lady said...

Girl, I know the feeling about resisting buying fabric. I went out for embroidery floss the other day, and came home with fabric! Can't wait to see the daisys and Bailey looks as cute as ever! ;)

Jenni said...

Bailey is cute stuff. I think you might have to take that Fabric Diet badge off! I don't put it on my blog - fabric buying is one of the greatest pleasures in my life. How sad is that?

Patti said...

I absolutely cannot resist coordinating fat quarter packs tied with pretty ribbons - absolutely my downfall!