Background

Saturday, October 21, 2006

The Stockings Were Hung


I must say that I'm glad this week is over.

Monday night was our Sewing Guild Meeting and only four people showed up to work on the Christmas stocking project. I guess it was a good thing because we had to set up in the pattern section of Joann's -- another scheduling error on their part. Thankfully, I had stockings, linings, cuffs and hangers pre-sewn, so all I had to do was put them together. I was pretty proud of how they turned out.

The rest of the week, I dedicated to working on Kylie's Halloween costume. My goal was to have it finished by Wednesday - but, that didn't happen. I came close, but just when I thought I was done, I had overlooked a step and needed to add a casing and elastic to the waist. ARGH!!!! I discovered the mistake as I was looking at the instructions for how to criss-cross the tie belt. So, I had to take it off the hanger and try to figure out how I was going to correct my mistake. Believe me, the seam ripper was my "Best Friend!" At 2AM, I called it quits and decided to just get a fresh start the next evening when I got home from work.

I threaded my serger with pink thread in record time, for me, and it was a god-send for finishing off all of the seams.

By Thursday night, all I had left was to thread the elastic through the casing I forgot about and make the headpiece. This photo shows the finished costume with the wings on Thursday evening.

The headpiece was a lot easier than I anticipated, with the aid of my glue gun. I started with a white "flowergirl" headpiece that we picked out in the bridal section of Joann's, then, I just added pink fabric flowers and ribbon roses, redid the ribbon with pink and silver and glued the leftover trim to the ribbon streamers.

IT"S NOW DONE!!!!!!!! I can't wait to see it on Kylie and I'm hoping that everything fits.

The only thing left to do is make Bailey's Halloween costume. I have purchased a set of green wings from DollarTree and they just need to be sewn to a black dog coat and make a head piece with antennas.

No comments: