Background

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Back to Work Today

In retrospect, those 11 days off at Christmas seemed to have flown by, however, it felt good to be back at work and seeing all of my friends and hearing about all of their holiday stories.

I forgot to post yesterday what I decided to work on on New Year's. I decided not to start on a new project and I dug out my Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilt that I started back in 2001. Yikes, that's over 5 years old.
Somehow I knew this would take a long time -- but 5 years.


Here's a photo of not long after I started working on it and Bailey was just a pup. I was so gung-ho to work on it then . I have always wanted a Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilt and it was portable. I took it to work, doctor's appointments, soccer games.
Then I put it away because I just couldn't bear to look at another hexagon or 30's Repro print. But 5 years???


I only have one more row left to sew on and it seems like a monster now, even though it's only a twin size. But, my New Year's promise (notice I didn't say resolution) is to finish it. One more row and then I can start to add the border. I think I want to do a straight edge border, so that will mean cutting off the points all along the edge -- however, I'm still a little undecided about doing that. I also don't have enough of the white on white left to finish it and after 5 years, I know I won't be able to match it, so I need to keep digging and try to find something that will work. Maybe a triple border with pink, blue and white.
Any suggestions?

5 comments:

dee said...

It's so nice to find something that is almost finished. I'm the queen of UFOs around here. I think I'd cut off the points and just finish it so you can move on to something new. ORRRR you could do one of those fancy borders that follow the line of the hexes all around. I think they look super!

meggie said...

Hi, Have loved 'meeting you' via Angie. I love that muted hexagon quilt. No advice how to finish it though.
I also love your little Bailey.. but then I am such a sucker for a dog!
Happy 2007.
I will come back to see what you are doing with those mouthwatering piles of fabric from you last post!

Pear tree cottage! said...

Hello Kim I am just taking a quick trip around the world from blog to blog and came across your beautiful blog page and You know I am spinning with delight at all the lovely quilting photos you are so talented that is for sure. BUT....the photo that I love very much is the three generations in aprons, now that is a treasure of a photo and I thank you for sharing it with us all.

I am an apron user and my grandchildren think it is nice to see nanni in her aprons they are all vintage ones I have picked up over the years at second hand shops.

I will be back for sure to read more of your lovely blog.
best wishes from australia.
lee-ann

Marla said...

Oh! I'm so jealous! I too began a hand pieced GFG in 2001. I have MAYBE 8 blocks done on it. Mine may end up being a table runner.....someday! LOL!

Paula, the quilter said...

This post made me realize that I haven't posted about my Grandmother's Flower Garden quilts. I've made 2. Love 'em. But with all the piles of snow laying around I can't get good pics because I can't back up far enuf to place the tripod. The post will have to wait. Love the tradition with a twist that you've done with yours.