I finally took the "bull by the horns" and started working a project (a WIP) and have been plugging away on the nine-patch and hour glass for the past week. As a matter of fact, I was feeling rather smug that it was going together so well. Then, when I got to the last row, I stalled. I just couldn't bring myself to sew that last row together so that I could move on to the border, even though it was already pinned together and just begging to be sewn.
Tonight, I sewed the last row together, hallelujah! pressed it and laid it out on the floor to admire it and something didn't look quite right. Argh!!!!! Quilter's Dyslexia (Thank you, Patti for that term). Somehow, I had turned 4 rows around and sewed it wrong - 4 rows!. What should have taken 10-15 minutes to sew together and press has taken almost 2 hours to pick out and correct.

I guess I should be grateful that I didn't discover this glaring error after I had sewn on the borders. And, now it is sewn together, wanna see a picture?
Now, I am anxious to start reading about all of those finished quilts that are just flying off the machine. Now, that's a bandwagon I want to jump on.
I also picked up these cute plastic baskets as the drug store today - they are perfect for holding projects and they are stackable.
On the weather front, we are experiencing 60-degree temperatures (in January), but a cold front is getting ready to move in. Thankfully, the rain has moved out, so the cold front will only bring cold weather and not snow.
Gratitudes:
- Finding a mistake while it's still correctable.
- My Clover seam ripper
- Warm weather in January
- Such nice comments left on my Blog that keep me challenging myself, when I sometimes just want to give up.
11 comments:
I can see how you could make a mistake on that quilt. Each piece is easy but they are put together in a very complex pattern. I love it.
Looks terrific! So sorry you had all that ripping to do - I can certainly sympathize! At least you found the mistake now - as you said. Two of my friends found serious dyslexic mistakes in their quilts after they were quilted and bound! One didn't notice it until her quilt was hanging up in a store during the Sisters Quilt show. How embarassing!
1chartfp@comcast.net
Following is okay, just as long as it isn't a lemming kind of thing. I think your new top looks very nice. I love scrappy quilts and am a sucker for 9 patches. Haven't done one myself though - that will have to come once I have enough scraps (away from quilting for a long while). Fons and Porter has a very nice seam ripper so that you can use both hands to rip a seam.
My daughter and I were working on a similar quilt. She gave up on me about half way through, and it is now in my UFO (unfinished objects) basket. The one I am doing has an appliqued floral border around it. I got the pattern from a book called Quick and Easy Scrap Quilts by Patricia Wilens. I don't know about that quick and easy part, easy, maybe but, not so quick. Inspired to see it complete. Thanks for showing!!
LOVE your quilt! Nice to find your blog too. Picking stitches is only half the fun of stitching, don't you think? Just kidding. That's a lot of ripping to do, but now it's perfect. It is beautiful!
That quilt is so pretty - I think it was worth the time it took to un-sew and turn it the right way. I think we all do that at some point during our quilting "careers".
Thanks for the comment on my blog. I'm still pretty new at this and it's exciting when someone leaves a post.
I've been cleaning and organizing my studio too--that is to say taking everything I threw onto the floor and trying to put it away properly. I wish I could say I was done.
btw: that's an amazing quilt!
Your nine patch and hour glass quilt is stunning! Sounds like you have "border phobia". I sometimes get it too!
I love this quilt! I will have to put it on my list of To Dos!
I love this! This must be after you fixed the issue because I see no flaws here!
Post a Comment