Background

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Hmmmm….Border Phobia

Someone teasingly pointed out in the comments section that I may be suffering from "border phobia" and, you know, that kinda sums it up nicely - since a border can make or break a quilt top.

I have absolutely no trouble just randomly picking fabrics and sewing them together with a ‘devil-may-care’ attitude while piecing together a quilt top, actually it’s quite liberating. But, when it comes to the border, I really struggle. I have an idea in my mind of what I want to do and it usually involves red, white and/or blue -- ho hum, so boring -- so safe. It’s just hard for me to venture outside the box, sometimes. And, then there is all of the math involved when trying to figure out a pieced border (how many HST's do I need if the border is X by X and then don't forget the seam allowances). Can't you just see my eyes glazing over?



If I use some really fun and bright prints, I can usually feel pretty secure about using a black inner border, just to give the eyes a place to rest. WOW, talk about working with a safety net - why do I feel the need to play it so safe?


Check out this top "Happy Scrappy Houses" from which the instructions came from Bonnie's Quiltville site. For me this was really stepping outside the box -- who knew that I had all these great novelty prints and that I would use them all in one quilt top??? I just love that black and turquoise together. I even have a black border fabric picked out that has dots of almost every color of fabric that I used in the top ready to cut and put on. What am I waiting for, you ask? -- I had put this one away when decorating for Christmas. I usually keep my WIP's hanging on the banister in the hallway upstairs so they are a constant reminder that they need work. However, I put everything away when I pulled out the Christmas decorations and now it's like Christmas all over again when I discover these goodies that are just begging to be worked on. Blogging about them is a big help, too. Just by putting these thoughts and photos into the blog is almost as good as walking past them and that they are just begging for me to take another step to finishing them.


On this just past WIP Wednesday, I did the inner mitered border and all of my fears about doing it were well founded. I will NEVER do another mitered border AGAIN. Now, if I could just locate the WOW fabric that I planned to use for said outer border….. this is one project that I will be glad when it is a memory.

I was over looking at Jennifer Chiaverini’s website (http://www.elmcreek.net/) to see when her new book will be coming out and lo and behold….the border around her website is this same blasted quilt with the mitered border that I’m working on. Do you think it’s an omen for me to finish it??? WOW, it sure looks good on her website. I can do this, I must do this, I gonna do it............once I publish this post.

11 comments:

Joyce said...

If you want a pieced border take Freddy Moran and Gwen Marsdon's advice in Collaborative Quilting. Just cut it off where it ends. Their book has influenced me greatly and if you want to try out of the box quilting theirs is the book to read. Gwen has also written Liberated Quilting which I don't have yet but want to own.

meggie said...

I checked out that site for Jennifer Chiaverini- had never seen it before. Thanks for that! I love the border on that quilt around the site!!
I love your wonky houses there- a plain border would be fine? Love all the vibrant colours.

In the mornings when I come on the computer to check out blogs, I keep telling myself, I will have to stop having so much fun, & get on with my 'real life'. lol.

MARCIE said...

Your houses are terrific! Way to go!

Pam said...

I feel the same way about borders - but didn't even realize it until I read your post! And I have never done a mitred border - ever.

The house quilt looks great. I was wondering what state is DE?

Lena said...

I've read 3 of Jennifer Chiaverini's books and enjoyed them. I never thought to check out her website. Thanks for the link.
I enjoy seeing the beautiful and interesting quilts you are working on. I think if you can create the them, then you can master any kind of border you like.
Hope you and Bailey are keeping warm!

Susan said...

I think it's an omen. =)

Love your houses quilt, and I'm imagining the dot fabric - really cute choice!

SuBee said...

Yep -- sisters under the skin! Border Phobia and miter-block, that's me. I love the black and turquoise too -- what an attention grabber! Good job!

Anonymous said...

Love your houses! It seems like you are conquering your border phobia. I like the idea of the dotty border.

Luísa Silva said...

Beautiful houses, they are just lovely

Meredith said...

The houses looked like they were fund to make. As for borders sometimes I just let the quilt top sit for a while. So that would be the same thing border phobia. LOL.

Jo Raines said...

I love this! And Bailey is so cute! My Yorkie, Gabby, loves to lay on the top of our couch which has attached pillows. Then when she visits my in-laws and tries to do that, she falls through because their pillows are detached! So funny! I'm trying to get around to everyone's blogs! I've been so busy lately I've hardly had time to post to mine much less catch up with everyone else! I know you've visited me before after Christmas because you commented on Gabby's Chuck-a-Duck Santa brought! Glad I finally got your way!