Background

Friday, September 08, 2006

Knit One, Tink Two

Didja ever just have one of those days? Everything I did was wrong or ended up wrong. For every stitch I knitted, I had to Tink two (knit backwards). I'm on this dishcloth kick right now, trying to learn to read knitting patterns and with something so small (9" squares) you would think it would be a snap---WRONG!. This is a whole new language!!

On Thursday night, I was feeling pretty good (kinda smug actually) about learning how to SSK and PSSO the previous night. So, I decided to try something to challenge myself. I cast on, knitted a few rows, then jumped into the pattern. After about 15 rows, something was wrong. Oh well, it's only 15 rows, so I ripped it out. Start over again -- work about 10 rows -- I don't have the same amount of stitches that I started with and I can't see where I dropped one -- I must have missed a YO -- ripped it out again. Maybe it wasn't in the cards for me to use this pretty turquoise yarn -- so I picked up a pink ombre and a different pattern. The YO's weren't working right. Maybe, I should try another pattern -- I have lots to choose from. Nope, This is where I learned to TINK - knit backwards. I also learned that when you TINK, you need to remember if it was a knit or purl because that affects the way the stitch will look. Here goes another rip-it-out.

I finanlly gave up and went to bed.

Friday morning, I decided to make a fresh start. I picked up the pretty turquoise yarn again, and started knitting - casted on, knitted a few rows, started working the pattern and everything was going exactly as it should. After about 15 rows, I could actually see the pattern emerging -- pretty little "hole-y" flowers all around the border - YES! It's supposed to look like that.

After I finished that one, I decided to try another design without any PSSO or SSK's - just knit and purl. Ho-hum - kinda boring, but it did make a neat flower design once it was done.

I'm happy to report that I now have 8 dishcloths completed - and something else started on both my #7 and #8 needles. No pictures yet because I still need to weave in the stringy ends and block them. These are going to make great Christmas gifts.

I even joined a Monthly Dishcloths group on Yahoo.

Happy Knitting.

No comments: